[kepler-users] Mac OS, Matlab, and library paths

Joe Futrelle jfutrelle at whoi.edu
Tue Jun 28 11:09:11 PDT 2011

Hi, I'm trying to run Matlab codes from Kepler in Mac OS (Snow Leopard). As an inexperienced user I'm simply firing up the prepackaged Mac OS distribution of Kepler and double-clicking on the app icon.

It's no problem constructing a workflow with a "Matlab expression" in it, but when I run I get a stacktrace about the Matlab libraries not being on the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I'm having no trouble finding those libraries manually; they're right where they should be in my Matlab install, and they're 64 bit, and everything seems in order.

Setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't seem possible in Mac OS; I can set environment variables in launchd.conf, but launchd appears to silently ignore DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH; maybe it's special-casing it for some reason.

I'm having trouble finding a previous post on this list, or a bug in Kepler's bugzilla database, or a documentation section or FAQ entry that explains how to solve this. It's clear that some people have had problems with this in the past, but I don't see a clear description of what I should be doing. Any and all advice welcome.

Mac OS version: 10.6.7
Java version: 1.6.0_24 (Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02-334, mixed mode))
Kepler version: 2.2
Matlab version: R2011a

--
Joe Futrelle