[kepler-users] Distributed algorithm

Jianwu Wang jianwu at sdsc.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:34:20 PST 2011

Hi Madhavi,

     You want the workflow kar file to be executed on one node of PBS or
schedule actors among multiple nodes of PBS?

     The current job submission support in Kepler is mainly for
submitting separate executables to a cluster, not a workflow. Yet I
think it will also work to use kepler.sh as executable to execute your
workflow on one node of PBS. But you need install Kepler on your cluster
first. I don't know there are simpler ways.

     If you want to schedule actors among multiple nodes of PBS, you can
try Kepler master-slave module
(https://kepler-project.org/developers/incubation/distributed-ms) in
Kepler. You need add either module master-slave-2.0
(https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-branches/master-slave-2.0/)
or module master-slave in trunk
(https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/master-slave/) into
your suite. Then you need to wrap your actors to-be-distributed in
DistributedCompositeActor in master-slave module. You also need start
slave started on each PBS node so that this node can accept sub-workflow
input from master.

Best wishes

Sincerely yours

Jianwu Wang
jianwu at sdsc.edu
http://users.sdsc.edu/~jianwu/

Assistant Project Scientist
Scientific Workflow Automation Technologies (SWAT) Laboratory
San Diego Supercomputer Center
University of California, San Diego
San Diego, CA, U.S.A.