[kepler-users] Metadata repository for Kepler.

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 6 13:32:57 PST 2011

Hi Bina ---

The answer differs for metadata for data and metadata about processes.

For data, Kepler can utilize metadata from a wide variety of repositories
via the 'EcoGrid' SOAP web service interfaces, but mostly it uses the
Metacat repository run as part of the KNB network for now.  That is what is
being searched under the 'Data' tab in Kepler.  It supports an extensible
set of metadata standards, including EML, DarwinCore, and others.  FGDC
could be supported as the backend repository supports it, but we don't have
a search adapter for FGDC in Kepler as of now -- this could be added.
Kepler can also write metadata and data to Metacat through the
EcoGridWriter actor.

We also are working on enabling Kepler to work across a much wider variety
of data repositories by changes that we are introducing to support the
DataONE web service interface.  This REST based interface is being promoted
by DataONE as a cross-repository interoperability layer, enabling client
tools to use a standard set of web services to interact with many
repository software systems (e.g., such as Metacat, Mercury, DSpace,
Merritt, AKN, and in the future others like iRODS and Fedora).

For metadata about processes, Kepler records provenance traces associated
with workflow executions, and can serialize and store those traces and the
associated workflows in archive files that can be uploaded to a repository.
 Right now we run one repository for these workflow/provenance artifacts
for Kepler itself, but I've heard that others run the repository systems
themselves to have local repositories that they can use for their work. The
Kepler Workflow Run Manager and Provenance modules handle these features.
 This provenance metadata system also uses the EcoGrid services to read and
write archives on remote repositories, and I expect this will also be a
subject of future DataONE work to enable cross-repository interoperability.

In addition, there is a working group focused on coming up with a
cross-workflow metadata specification for provenance that is an extension
of the OPM model. I expect that work will be incorporated in Kepler,
Taverna, and other workflow systems as it matures.  See
https://www.dataone.org/content/scientific-workflows-provenance-working-group
.

These features are all described in the Kepler documentation (the
provenance system is described in the associated run manager and provenance
module documentation), all of which is available here:
   https://kepler-project.org/users/documentation

Hope this helps.