[kepler-users] When workflow's execution is finished, can actors' states be reported?

Tomasz Żok tzok at man.poznan.pl
Mon Mar 22 06:19:23 PDT 2010

Hi,

Thank you for pointing me how to find and use MonitorReceiverContents. It
is a great tool to debug workflows and I find it very helpful. It has
already done great things for me and for sure will do more in my further
works :)

@Christopher: Btw. the attribute renders strangely in my Kepler instance
as well.

Thank you, best regards,
Tomek

On 17-03-2010 at 23:26:38 Christopher Brooks <cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
>      If you find a Ptolemy actor useful, just remember its class name
> (e.g. ptolemy.actor.lib.Ramp). In Kepler, "Tools/Instantiate Component"
> menu allows you to type in the class name, which will put an actor
> instance on your canvas just as dragging one from the actor tree.
>
>      The ptolemy jar is stored in the kepler.jar, so you have access to
> any Ptolemy actors and directors.
>
>      If you want to use a director not in Kepler tree, you have to use
> the "Tools/Instantiate Attribute" menu. I use it to get a DDF director
> frequently (class ptolemy.domains.ddf.kernel.DDFDirector).
>
>      I suppose, you can create a kar file for any ptolemy actor just as
> for kepler actors, if you want to add some of them into the Kepler actor
> tree.
> --end--
>
> In a version of Kepler checked out from the svn tree, I did:
>    Tools->Instantiate Attribute
> and entered
>    ptolemy.vergil.actor.lib.MonitorReceiverContents
> and that created an attribute.
>
> I then ran the model and the ports had information displayed on them.
>
> Note that the attribute was rendered strangely, it looked kind of
> squashed.
> I'm not sure why.
>
> _Christopher
>
> On 3/17/10 2:49 PM, Tomasz Żok wrote:
>> Hi Edward and Bertram,
>>
>> Thank you for pointing out the possible approaches.
>>
>> I have tried the "Listen to director" method some time ago. As far as I
>> can remember, the output I got was totally unreadable and unmanagable (I
>> am creating a big workflow, being executed for as long as few hours... I
>> was overloaded with information from the director). And I think there
>> were just information about calling fire() or postfire(), etc. but not a
>> thing about tokens being received on ports. But I tried this approach in
>> the past, maybe I'll try again soon.
>>
>> As for MonitorReceiverContents, I cannot find it in my Kepler-1.0.0
>> installation. But as Bertram pointed out, there is no such actor in the
>> recent checkout.
>>
>> And I am using DDF director.
>>
>> Thank you, best regards,
>> Tomek
>>
>> On 16-03-2010 at 17:03:52 Bertram Ludaescher <ludaesch at ucdavis.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> Yes, I'm a fan of MonitorReceiverContents (thanks for implementing it
>>> Edward! :)
>>> It nicely shows the queue contents during execution. It also should
>>> show
>>> "left over queue content".
>>>
>>> Edward:
>>> What is the set of domain for which this will (mostly) likely work?
>>> (I'm primarily interested in SDF, DDF, and PN.)
>>>
>>> Also, is it correct to assume that runs that have "left over tokens"
>>> are
>>> still "valid" w.r.t. the Kahn semantics?
>>> It would be interesting to define a declarative query or integrity
>>> constraint (to use database parlance) that checks queue contents after
>>> execution. One could then declare certain runs as "incomplete", i.e.,

--
Tomasz Zok
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center