[kepler-users] saving workflow in eps format

Peter Reutemann fracpete at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:21:44 PST 2010

> I've been using the itextPDF mechanism Christopher describes below,
> and it's far more convenient than the other alternatives if you
> are going to use the PDF in Latex.  The reason it is more convenient
> is that it exports the PDF on a correctly sized page.  With the printing
> mechanisms you get it on an 8.5x11 (or A4) page, or you have to manually
> set the page size, which is a royal pain...
>
> Too bad that code is AGPL'd. If it weren't, we could just include
> it with Ptolemy II.  But AGPL is not truly "free software."
> It is encumbered quasi-free software...

Huh? iText is released under the GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE v3:
  http://itextpdf.com/terms-of-use/index.php?page=AGPL

Do you really consider projects released under the GPL or AGPL
quasi-free software?
  http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/licenses.html

These two licenses at least force you to provide the source-code as
well, when you're making the project publicly available. In contrast
to BSD licenses which quite often result in closed-source software
(e.g., Mac OSX uses FreeBSD and NetBSD code).

Don't wanna start a flame war, just my 2c on this topic...

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174