[kepler-users] errors during installation of sun JRE

Peter Reutemann fracpete at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 22:41:48 PST 2010

> I visited the link u gave me before. And the very first cmd i typed in the
> console
> gave me error.
>
> Error Downloading Packages:
>   compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-66.i586: failure:
> Packages/compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-66.i586.rpm from fedora: (256, 'No more
> mirrors to try.')
>   compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-142.i586: failure:
> Packages/compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-142.i586.rpm from fedora: (256, 'No more
> mirrors to try.')

You will have to post on a fedora mailing list, since I don't use
fedora, but ubuntu, and can help on this issue.

Alternatively, you can just try to download the appropriate .bin file,
execute it (after a chmod a+x <filename>) and just install it in your
home directory. You can easily adapt the kepler.sh script and point to
the correct "java" executable. I hardly ever use the system-wide
installed JRE, since I often need specific JREs, and hence install
these in my home directory.

> And during the downloda of the JRE,it had no opitons for fedora platform.
> Yet i downloaded for the linux version,it ended up as some ".jnlp" file
> instead of a ".bin".

Did you right-click a link and selected "save as" instead of
left-clicking it? There are a few pages that you have to click
through. The download should start automatically.

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174