[kepler-users] No menu bar in Kepler 1.x (EDIT: for Kepler 2.x too)

Tomasz Żok tzok at man.poznan.pl
Wed Dec 29 02:13:48 PST 2010

Hi,

I know this thread is very old (February 2010), but I found out that the
issue addressed here is not yet solved.

I am now using Kepler 2.x, version from trunk. If I have my default system
locale set (pl_PL), then Kepler runs without menu bar and buttons are
without labels on them. My system is GNU/Linux so I can easily switch to
LANG=en_US for the specific process of Kepler. But the problem was also
confirmed on a Windows machine, and there the only option is to temporary
switch whole system to another region settings which has some system-wide
consequences.

I believe that the loader should first verify if menu mappings (and other
localization files) are present. If not, then it should switch to the
default ones.

Best regards and wishing all of you a happy New Year,
Tomek

Tomasz Żok <tzok at man.poznan.pl>:

> Hi,
>
> I can confirm, that it was a localization problem. Changing LANG
> environment
> variable into en_US.utf8, before `ant run` was sufficient to have Kepler
> working
> without problems. I didn't even have to recompile for it to work.
>
> Thanks everyone for support and finding out the cause of problem
> together,
> Tomek
>

> On piątek 05 lutego 2010 at 19:01:15 Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> This is interesting.  I agree that Tomasz issue probably has to do
>> with localization.  I'm not sure why the build would fail for Anne.
>>
>> Details below:
>>
>> Kepler-1.0 works fine for Chad and I, both of whom are on Macs.
>>
>> As per
>> https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/build-syste
>> m-instructions the commands I'm running are:
>>    mkdir kepler-1.0
>>    cd kepler-1.0
>>    svn co
>>  https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/build-area cd
>>  build-area
>>    ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-1.0
>>    ant run
>>
>> Under Mac OS X, I'm running:
>>    bash-3.2$ java -version
>>    java version "1.5.0_22"
>>    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
>>  1.5.0_22-b03-333-9M3125) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build
>> 1.5.0_22-147,
>>  mixed mode, sharing) bash-3.2$ ant -version
>>    Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on October 13 2009
>>    bash-3.2$ svn --version
>>    svn, version 1.6.6 (r40053)
>>       compiled Oct 22 2009, 14:13:09
>>
>> Note that under the Mac I do get a warning:
>>
>>        [run] /Users/cxh/src/kepler-1.0-1.6.0_17
>>        [run] Building Kars...
>>        [run] PHYLIP_EXE_DIR = null
>>        [run] GBLOCKS = null
>>        [run] DOT_PATH = null
>>        [run] KAR Library directories:
>>  [/Users/cxh/src/kepler-1.0-1.6.0_17/kepler-1\ .0-jar-tag/kar/actors,
>>  /Users/cxh/src/kepler-1.0-1.6.0_17/kepler-1.0-jar-tag/kar/\ directors]
>>        [run] regArray:
>>  org.ecoinformatics.ecogrid.registry.stub.RegistryEntryArray\
>> Type at 99094a77
>>        [run] ERROR
>>  (org.ecoinformatics.seek.ecogrid.EcoGridServicesController:merg\
>>  eServicesList:414) could not add service:The service type is invalid or
>>  null: Kep\ lerSlaveNode.  Couldn't be added to list
>>
>> The "Couldn't be added to the list" appears over and over again.
>>
>> Under Linux, I was able to compile and run Kepler-1.0.  My setup is:
>>    [bldmastr at sisyphus ~]$ uname -a
>>    Linux sisyphus.eecs.berkeley.edu 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Wed
>> Apr
>>  29 14:24:5\ 1 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>    bldmastr at sisyphus ~]$ java -version
>>    java version "1.5.0_19"
>>    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02)
> [...]

Tomasz Zok
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center
ul. Noskowskiego 10, 61-704 Poznan, POLAND
http://www.man.poznan.pl