[kepler-users] Greetings/newbie questions about Kepler

Thomas M. Parris parris at isciences.com
Tue Oct 20 06:34:55 PDT 2009

Edward, Matt, Christopher,

Thank you all.  I have found this exchange to be very usefull.

The road map that Matt provides for V2 is very helpful and helps
differentiate the two efforts.  It also encourages me to subscribe to the
developers list to get a better sense of how the project is evolving.  The
two pieces missing from that discussion is a sense of timeline and backwards
compatability.  Kepler 1.0.0 was released in May 2008?  When will we likely
see 2.0.0 (May 2010?).  Will all workflows developed under 1.0.0 work
unmodified under 2.0.0?

Chistopher decribes the procedures for adding Ptolemy II actors and methods
to Kepler.  Also very helpful (and something I will certainly be doing in
the near future).  But it does raise an interesting question.  Clearly, the
Kepler team is making some decisions about which elements of Ptolemy II
merit a priori inclusion in a user interface for "scientific workflows"
whereas others do not.  I must admit that I find this differentiation to be
confusing.  Is there an explicit set of criteria?

Edward makes the distinction between a building and its foundation.  So
perhaps I can draw the following analogy.  Potelemy II is to Kepler as is
Gecko to Firefox.  Rather obvious now that I look at it, but perhaps a point
that could me made more clearly in the 2.0.0 documentation.

I'm off to investigate some of the specifics.  That probably means silence
from me for at least a few days.

-- Tom