[kepler-users] multiport as output

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri May 29 17:08:15 PDT 2009

Hi Ufuk,

There is an example in the R chapter of the User Guide (available from
the Help menu in Kepler 1.0.0, or from the kepler-docs subversion
repository).  See page 348, section 11.4.1.1.5  (Example Five: Using
Ports Configured as Multiports ).  Its not clear from your description
exactly what you are trying to do.  A multiport has multiple channels
that can be written to, and the channels are represented by each
connection (ie, the first connection gets channel 0, the second is
channel 1, etc.).  The actor decides what data is sent to each channel
when writing to a multiport. If you just want to send a chunk of data
to one location (e.g., actor A to Actor B), you can use an array or
other token that aggregates data, or send the atomic values in
sequence if you want them processed individually.  If you want to
broadcast the same data to multiple actors, you can use a multiport as
that example shows, or use a relation in the channel to split the
channel.

The Ptolemy manual has more information on multiports -- see page 170:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII7.0/ptII7.0.1/doc/design/ptIIdesign1-intro.pdf

Matt

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu <turuncu at ucar.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any example actor that uses output port defined as multiport? How
> can i use this kind of actor in workflow? I think that there will be a only
> one link between multiport output and input ports. What is the correct
> design to handle multiple input and output? ArrayToken or multiport?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --ufuk

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo