[kepler-users] kepler in web mode

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 26 10:55:50 PDT 2009

Years ago we (Ilkay) worked on a web start version of kepler that we
tried for a while.  It was fairly difficult to set up and maintain,
especially because of a variety of jar signing issues, and we didn't
see many benefits of that approach over a plain installer.  So we
never formally pursued it, and I suspect that you might have a
difficult time trying to get it to work now.  At this point getting it
set up would be a completely new initiative, as any jnlp files and
other artifacts would be so out of date that they wouldn't be useful.

Web start isn't really much of a web mode anyways, in that all you're
really doing is launching an app via a web process.  Have you
considered contributing to one of the web-based Kepler UI efforts,
such as Hydrant or SciencePipes that have been discussed on this list?
We have a Web User Interface interest group that is discussing just
these sorts of issues:
https://kepler-project.org/developers/interest-groups/webui

Matt

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM, tkd <thinkalldifferently at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested on using Kepler in a web mode. Apparently, this is possible
> with java web start, that's right ? In the positive case, is there some
> documentation about this topic please ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> tkd

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo