[kepler-users] passing information without firing

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 12 18:49:47 PDT 2009

Hi Ufuk,
So you want an actor that performs an operation, yet does not fire?

You could try doing some of this work in one of the earlier stages
that occurs before firing, such as prefire().  However, there
could be issues involving determinancy and endless loops.
Parameter evaluation is Ptolemy tries to be lazy, so it might
work out ok.

Try looking at
ptolemy.actor.parameters.SharedParameter
ptolemy.actor.parameters.ParameterSet
and
ptolemy.actor.lib.SetVariable

You should also look around for references to ScopeExtendingAttributes.

To check if a TypedCompositeEntity has an entity by name, use
ptolemy.kernel.CompositeEntity.getEntity(String)
To check for a entity of a particular class, see
ptolemy.kernel.CompositeEntity.entityList(Class)
For further information about traversing a workflow, see volume
2 of the design doc
http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/designdoc.htm
See especially chapter 1, which covers the kernel.

_Christopher