[kepler-users] execution time

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 5 11:09:12 PST 2009

Hi Blue,
When a Kepler model is run, some run data is printed
to stdout, such as:
2212 ms. Memory: 31664K Free: 7107K (22%)

This data is printed by ptolemy.actor.Manager, which has methods
such as timeAndMemory().

I have some primitive performance notes at
ptII/doc/coding/performance.html, last year's version may be found at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/coding/performance.htm
The devel tree has some updates.

To measure the time of an execution within a model, you could use
the WallClockTime actor, see
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/codeDoc/ptolemy/actor/lib/WallClockTime.html
To create a WallClockTime actor in Kepler, do
Tools -> Instantiate Component
and then enter ptolemy.actor.lib.WallClockTime for the class name.
The "Location (URL)" field should be left empty.

The Expression Language also has totalMemory and freeMemory variables
that can be accessed, though the values tend to get cached, so they
are not always updated during the execution of a system.

How I usually do performance measurements is that I run models
without a GUI and then do several runs, tossing out the times for the
first run.  $PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib/test/performance, which is only
in the ptII subversion devel tree, has some scripts that I've used.

_Christopher