[kepler-users] Opal 2.0 and Kepler 1.0

Tirath Ramdas tramdas at oci.uzh.ch
Mon Jun 15 10:22:49 PDT 2009

Hi,

I would like to deploy some apps with Opal 2.0, and to orchestrate
these with Kepler 1.0.0. For what it's worth, the
WebServicesAndDataTransformation example workflow does work for me.

I've set up opal-ws-2.0 with jakarta-tomcat-5_0_30, with the "/bin/
date" sample service, locally (i.e. on the same system I'm running
Kepler). I get the desired result running the service with the Opal
generic client, with launchJob [1], and subsequently with the
queryStatus/getOutputs methods. Unfortunately, I can't repeat this
with Kepler, pointing to the endpoint http://localhost:8080/opal2/services/DateServicePort?wsdl
.

[1] java edu.sdsc.nbcr.opal.GenericServiceClient -l http://localhost:8080/opal2/services/DateServicePort
  -r launchJob

I give some arbitrary input to the launchJobInput port which the actor
instantiates the moment I specify the endpoint and method (launchJob),
basically treating this input like a trigger. The result is the same
if it's a constant (1) or an empty string: the workflow returns
"executions finished" almost instantly, with no output on either the
launchJobOutput port or the error port. Looking at the Opal dashboard,
it doesn't look like any of these jobs get started.

However, when I point Kepler's web service actor to the Axis builtin
"Version" endpoint, it works. With this endpoint, no input port is
instantiated on the web service actor.

My web search returns lots of hits about Kepler and Opal, but it's
usually just mentioned in a bullet point - does anyone have this
actually working? What am I doing wrong?

-tirath