[kepler-users] How To Build Kepler under Eclipse Instructions

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 6 17:33:19 PST 2009

Hi Siddeswara,

[I'm cc-ing kepler-users because these are good questions].

Yep, the changes to the build system have been a little complex, but
they are for the better.  Basically, by having a modular system,
it makes it easier to support multiple groups working in different
areas.  The down side is that the tree is split up and getting
started is slightly more complex.   However, an advantage is that
it is somewhat more apparent what modules depend on what, which
is a good thing.

Where files are located has changed.

If you do

mkdir kepler
cd kepler
svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/build-area
cd build-area
ant change-to -Dsuite=vanilla-trunk

then directories above the current directory will be created that
have the Ptolemy tree etc.

Here's my directory structure after running ant.

bash-3.2$ ls
actors
build-area
common
core
directors
loader
ptolemy
util
vanilla-trunk
bash-3.2$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/tmp/cxh/src/kepler
bash-3.2$ ls ptolemy/ptolemy/actor/lib/Ramp.java
ptolemy/ptolemy/actor/lib/Ramp.java
bash-3.2$

Note that kepler/ptolemy was created by running ant.
kepler/ptolemy/ptolemy/actor/lib/Ramp.java is where the Ramp actor is
located.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how to import ptolemy file".  Do
you mean how to set the classpath to find the Ptolemy classes?

The right solution might be to build your own module, but I'm not sure
if there are instructions for that.  Another idea is to use an IDE
such as Eclipse.

You could also try finding the target/ directories and adding
that to your classpath.  For example, in my case, the ptolemy
.class files are in kepler/ptolemy/target/classes

How to add an actor is tricky.  I could not find totally up to date
docs, but
https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/reference/adding-a-new-java-actor-to-kepler-a-quick-tutorial
might be of use.
Using Tools -> Instantiate Component will work if your .class
is in your Classpath.  Setting your classpath depends on whether
you are using and IDE like Eclipse or ant.

The new build is for anyone who wants to build from the current
head of the development tree that is in version control.  I'm not
sure if that makes them users or developers, it depends on your
definition.

Hope this helps.

_Christopher

--
Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)