[kepler-users] Error handling

Michal Owsiak michalo at man.poznan.pl
Wed Dec 9 23:03:45 PST 2009

Hi,

we have developed simple actor that allows us handling errors - it
requires you to make sure that workflow will be able to handle them.

You can find it here:
http://scilla.man.poznan.pl/euforia/lib/jar/euforia/pl.psnc.kepler.common.jar

Of course, this is not universal solution (you will not be able to catch
errors from any actor), and you have to follow some rules:

1. You have to make sure that all your actors extend ErrorEnabledActor
(it provides two additional outputs - errorCode (0-OK, <> 0 - error) and
errorMessage.
2. You have to make sure that you connect LoggerActor with an actor that
is supposed to throw the exception

Of course, you have to manage the exceptions inside the actors, but
after you "throw exception out" - using errorCode and errorMessage, you
can manage the error handling from the level of workflow (you can decide
whether workflow should try to recover or not). Keep in mind that you
manage the exception handling within the actor that throws the exception.

LoggerActor allows you to show the exception inside JDialog window (you
can enable/disable this feature) and additionally provides you with the
"stop" parameter which decides whether after exception workflow should
stop or not.

Cheers

Michal