[kepler-users] Error handling

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 9 18:06:59 PST 2009

Ustun Yildiz wrote:
> Hi: It is very hard to catch workflow model errors other than type
> mismatches. I am not sure Kepler has a  support for this. Ustun.

Actually, it's not so hard.  The TestExceptionHandler actor is an
example of an actor that handles exceptions. Any actor that implements
the ExceptionHandler mechanism will be given a chance to handle
exceptions.  We use this extensively in regression tests to ensure
that exceptions are thrown when it is correct to do so.

Exceptions are passed up the Java call hierarchy.  Model errors are
a complementary mechanism where the error is passed up the model
hierarchy. A model error handler overrides the handleModelError()
method.

The ThrowModelError actor throws a model error.

We have talked about providing an "error handler
transition" in ModalModels, but I don't think think this
has been implemented. Shanna (cc'd here) was looking into it...

Edward