[kepler-users] run-time window layout

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 3 13:35:14 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,
In Ptolemy the code is in ptolemy/actor/gui/RunTableau.java.  It looks
like that is the class that is used in Kepler as well.
To check this, look in the configuration for "Run":

bash-3.2$ grep -i run common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/*.xml
common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/ConfigGUIAndCache.xml:    <doc>Configuration to run but not edit Ptolemy II models</doc>
common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/ConfigGUINoCache.xml:    <doc>Configuration to run but not edit Ptolemy II models</doc>
common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/ConfigNoGUIWithCache.xml:    <doc>Configuration to run but not edit Ptolemy II models</doc>
common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/graphTableauFactory.xml:  <property name="Run Window"
common/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/graphTableauFactory.xml:            class="ptolemy.actor.gui.RunTableau$Factory"/>

The deal is that actors like Display implement the Placeable interface.
Display.place(Container) does the actual placement.

An alternative would be to try out Edward Lee's Run Window Interface.
This work is only in Ptolemy, not in Vergil.  This work is incomplete,
and after poking around a bit, I was able to start it up.  The basic
idea is that ptolemy/actor/graphTableauFactory.xml had:

<property name="Interface Window"
             class="ptolemy.actor.gui.run.InterfaceTableau$Factory"/>

I moved this to defaultFullConfiguration.xml to avoid a dependency
between Ptiny and this work, and I just made a fix to defaultFullConfiguration.xml
to get this to work

So, to run this in kepler from Ptolemy:
cd kepler/build-area
ant update
ant update-ptolemy -Drev=head
ant change-to -Dsuite=ptII

Then bring up a model and do View -> Interface Window.
In the Run Control, select Customize -> Customize Layout.

This code is not production-level, but it give you an idea of what could be done.

We stopped work on this in part because the author of the package we were
using was moving towards using a Rich Client Platform (RCP).

_Christopher