[kepler-users] FTPClient

Faraaz Sareshwala fsaresh at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 20 13:15:22 PST 2008

Hi Óscar,

Hope you are doing well. I played around with the FTPClient actor for a
little while and was able to get it to work. I've attached a sample workflow
that you can use as an example. The example uses the PUT function of
FTPClient, but you can easily modify it to use GET as well. If you need more
information on the FTPClient, simply right click it and hover over the
documentation context menu item and select view documentation. The
documentation explains mostly all of what you need to know to work with
FTPClient.

A couple of things to note which weren't immediately clear:

   - The input to FTPClient should come from a String Constant actor and not
   FileReader or anything like that. The documentation is a bit vague but
   FTPClient is looking for the filepath and not the file contents itself.
   - When editing the parameters of FTPClient, use PUT and GET for operation
   and ASC and BIN for mode. The documentation explains in greater detail what
   these are but they are case sensitive for the actor. It would be good, and
   not too hard, to allow for lowercase characters too.
   - Make sure your file exists exactly as you have stated in the path. One
   of the easiest ways to get the "invalid command" result is to have the actor
   think your file doesn't exist if you provided the file path incorrectly.

One last thing important thing to note is that when FTPClient does upload or
download the file, the code doesn't set the url to broadcast properly. Once
that is done, it should work properly. I experimented with this a bit and
it's actually a pretty easy fix but it might be better to contact the author
themselves and allow them to fix it.

Hope that helps,
Faraaz