[kepler-dev] Kepler and SVN repository

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 12 12:13:05 PDT 2014

Hi Michal,

Patching from the Ptolemy tree will not work very well.  Part of the
issue is that there are many changes over time, and some of them are at
the infrastructure level and not necessarily user-visible.

The Kepler head builds with the Ptolemy II head.

I've seen people try to not work at the head and then try to patch
changes in later.  It can be very time consuming.

There is a commercial vendor who started with Ptolemy II 7.0 and they
would like to use features in the current head, but are having a hard
time patching their system.

We take backward compatibility very seriously, it is possible to run
quite old models in the ptII head.

I suggest porting your work to the head so that it stays current.

_Christopher

On 9/12/14 11:52 AM, Daniel Crawl wrote:

> Hi Michal,
>
> I'll update the build system for the next release so that you can
> download from a tagged directory instead of a specific revision number.
> You can then merge the changes from the release branches.
>
>   --dan
>
> On 9/12/14 11:00 AM, Michal Owsiak wrote:
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> Just one more question. I assume that I can take the code from rev31866
>> and then apply patches by merging codes from development branches.
>>
>> What I am looking for is the solution for us when version 2.5/3.0 will
>> be released.
>>
>> I would like to proceed that way, we get the released version (from SVN)
>> and then, we patch it by merging changes from the release branch.
>>
>> I assume that should be OK.
>>
>> Michal
>>
>>> Hi Michal,
>>>
>>> The following will download the sources used for the Kepler 2.4
>>> installers:
>>>
>>> svn co -r31866
>>> https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-branches/build-area-2.4/
>>>

>>> build-area
>>> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-2.4
>>> ant update -Drev 31866
>>>
>>> I created a tag for the 2.4.0 release, but "ant change-to" always
>>> downloads from the branch.
>>>
>>> The branches are updated with bug fixes, which are released as patches.
>>> There have been several patches for Kepler 2.4, so if you use the
>>> sources from revision 31866, you will not get these bug fixes.
>>>
>>>    --dan

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)