[kepler-dev] Java 7 and ant 1.8.2

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 11 11:00:03 PDT 2014

Ptolemy II will not be moving to Java 1.7 any time soon.

I would like to get 10.0 out first.

This is long over due.

_Christopher

On 7/11/14 10:57 AM, Daniel Crawl wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Thanks for the information. Yes, this change will affect older Macs
> still using Java 6, but the support costs seem low.
>
> For the next Kepler release, we'll do our testing with Java 7 and make
> sure the installers and one-click apps work for all the platforms.
>
> Is Ptolemy moving to Java 7 soon?
>
>   --dan
>
> On 7/11/14 10:25 AM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> The only reason I know of to stick with Java 1.6 is that the version of
>> Java that is supported by Apple for Mac OS X 10.7.
>>
>> This is the version of MacOS X that runs on three year old Macs, such as
>> the one I'm using right now.
>>
>> Apple is still supplying patches for Java 1.6, see
>> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5982, updated last October.
>>
>> However, Java 7 is available for the Mac.
>>
>> Requiring Java 7 is probably ok, but there could be some support costs
>> in that Mac users will need to install Java before installing Kepler.
>>
>> One additional complication is that the disk layout of Apple's 1.6 Java
>> and Oracle's 1.7 and 1.8 Java differ.
>>
>> This could cause problems with creating a one-click Mac app that has the
>> proper stub to invoke Java.
>>
>> Edward reported that the Apple 1.6 Vergil.app created by Ptolemy does
>> not work on his new Mac.
>>
>> It is unfortunate that people still insist on using Windows and that
>> Windows has not kept up with the times.  Why there would be limits in
>> the length of the classpath in this day and age is beyond me. One
>> possibility would be to look at how Eclipse handles the classpath.
>> Presumably, they have similar issues. However, that seems like extra
>> work
>>
>> Bottom line: we can go ahead with this, but it will result in some small
>> problems.
>>
>> _Christopher
>>

>> On 7/11/14 10:16 AM, Benjamin Leinfelder wrote:
>>> Hi Dan,
>>> Requiring Java 7 seems reasonable, especially if you want to use
>>> features only available in version 7. This will be for current
>>> development and the upcoming 2.5 release, correct?
>>> -ben

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)