[kepler-dev] Ptolemy book

Edward Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 14 10:21:21 PDT 2013

Dear Colleague,

First, apologies if I you already know about this...
There is some overlap in the mailing lists I'm using...

I just wanted to let you know that the Ptolemy book, several years in
the making,
is finally out and available. A free PDF and a low-cost paperback are
available
via the website, http://ptolemy.org/systems. This book captures many
(though not all)
of the more applied aspects of more than 20 years of research in the
Ptolemy Project.
Comments and corrections are welcome...

Note that if you plan to attend the Ptolemy Miniconference on Nov. 7, we
will be
giving out free copies of the book there...  (See
http://ptolemy.org/conferences/13 ).

Best regards,
Edward

-------------------------------- Book details:

Claudius Ptolemaeus, Editor,
System Design, Modeling, and Simulation using Ptolemy II, Ptolemy.org, 2014.
http://ptolemy.org/systems

Back cover summary:

This book is a definitive introduction to models of computation for the
design of
complex, heterogeneous systems. It has a particular focus on
cyber-physical systems,
which integrate computing, networking, and physical dynamics. The book
captures more
than twenty years of experience in the Ptolemy Project at UC Berkeley,
which pioneered
many design, modeling, and simulation techniques that are now in
widespread use.
All of the methods covered in the book are realized in the open source
Ptolemy II
modeling framework and are available for experimentation through links
provided in the book.

The book is suitable for engineers, scientists, researchers, and
managers who wish to
understand the rich possibilities offered by modern modeling techniques.
The goal of
the book is to equip the reader with a breadth of experience that will
help in
understanding the role that such techniques can play in design.