[kepler-dev] Kepler icon handling (Bug 4903)

Sean Riddle swriddle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 14:37:28 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm taking a look at bug 4903, which is Kepler displaying certain icons
incorrectly. It appears that the problem comes down to Ptolemy using the
normal, standard method of icon determination, and Kepler using a custom
method that sometimes gives erroneous results - this is implemented in
org.kepler.gui.KeplerXMLIcon in the gui module. Manually disabling the
custom icon rendering class allows me to instantiate
MonitorReceiverContents and get the expected icon as in Ptolemy.

I'm a little unsure about how to implement a fix to this. Is there a way,
as with the _alternateGetMoml attribute, to set the custom icon rendering
on a per-class/LSID basis? If so, disabling it for problematic attributes
would be a simple fix. On the other hand, if there's no way to customize
the behavior for certain actors, I could still modify KeplerXMLIcon such
that it performs like the XmlIcon Ptolemy class for any problematic
attributes. I'm going to poke around assessing the viability of the latter
approach, but if anyone knows this part of the code better, feel free to
suggest something different.

Thanks,

Sean