[kepler-dev] Export HTML capability

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri May 6 16:50:10 PDT 2011

BTW - my intention is to move the javascript code into ptII/vendors.
I'm up against a deadline for a meeting on Tuesday, so the move
will not happen until after Tuesday.

I'm not opposed to providing GPL functionality as long as the Ptolemy
core remains free of GPL'd code.  In this context, the Ptolemy core
means the UI and the ptiny domains (SDF, Continuous, etc.).

Ultimately, I think the right thing to do is to provide two repositories,
one for ptII that includes only BSD compatible licensed code and a ptIIvendors
repository that includes non-BSD compatible licensed code.

_Christopher

On 5/6/11 4:42 PM, Derik Barseghian wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> I did a quick test enabling the export to HMTL, PNG, and GIF options in Kepler, and they seem to work fine. We're excluding ptolemy/vergil/basic/itextpdf because it "Uses iText.jar from http://itextpdf.com, which is AGPL." (thanks ptolemy-exclusion-reasons.txt!), so the PDF option didn't work. The only problem I noticed offhand was hovering over an RExpression actor didn't show any actor details.
>
> I see comments in the code about how the javascript is GPL'd, so I guess that's a problem for Kepler. Maybe we can find an BSD-friendly alternative...
>
> Derik
>
> On May 6, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Matt Jones wrote:
>
>> Derik,
>>
>> I agree its a great idea to move it over, and it would be great to be able to include it in the repository and reporting features.  Do you think that use of SVG icons in Kepler will have an impact on how this works compared with Ptolemy?
>>
>> Edward -- nice feature -- thanks for putting it together.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Derik Barseghian<barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu>  wrote:
>> Hi Edward,
>>
>> This is a great feature, I'd like to have it in
>> Kepler. I'd also like to leverage this for archival kars, a
>> user could then inspect workflows through our online
>> repository.
>>
>> By the way, I'd also really like to get the Kieler layout
>> feature included in Kepler.
>>
>> Hopefully both of these additions won't take much work on
>> the Kepler side. I can help if you like.
>>
>> Derik
>>
>> On May 5, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Edward A. Lee wrote:
>>

>>> I have checked in to the Ptolemy tree an Export to HTML
>>> capability. It creates pages like this one:
>>>
>>> http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal/tmp/MaximumEntropySpectrum/
>>>
>>> Try clicking on the plotter on the above page, or on the
>>> composite actors.
>>>
>>> This capability is made available in the configuration, so
>>> I doubt it will automatically appear in Kepler. But it
>>> might be a useful thing to add in Kepler. Let me know if
>>> you want to pursue this...
>>>
>>> The way it works is that it exports an HTML page for
>>> any composite actor that happens to be open when you export
>>> the top level. Same for plot windows. If they are present,
>>> they are exported.
>>>
>>> Limitations:
>>> - Doesn't support modal models yet.
>>> - Needs a facility to open all composite actors and run the model
>>>   before doing the export.
>>>
>>> Edward

>>> Kepler-dev mailing list
>>> Kepler-dev at kepler-project.org

ph: 510.643.9841      	                      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670