[kepler-dev] validate-ptolemy and versions

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:43:24 PST 2011

Hi Sean,
Use Java 1.6.
The leadership team determined that this was a good idea, though
it will leave certain older Macs out of the build.

I think we failed to communicate this decision.

I just removed the @Override tags from DesignPatternImporter.

My personal policy is that I'm attempting to keep the Ptolemy II
core free of Java 1.6 code because Java 1.5 still has its uses.
However, I'm not opposed to Java 1.6 code going in to the Ptolemy II
core (kernel, util etc.).

_Christopher

On 1/7/11 9:24 AM, Sean Riddle wrote:
> I've been setting up 'ant validate-ptolemy' as a cron job to be run periodically from a machine at UC Davis. During testing, it completed successfully and updated revision.txt. Unfortunately, it's
> come to my attention that while it all compiled with Java 1.6, it would not have done so under 1.5. The actual issue is very minor; in the class ptolemy.actor.gt.controller.DesignPatternImporter,
> @Override annotations are used for methods implementing an interface, rather than just for those overriding a concrete method.
>
> This does raise the question, though, of what exact environment (JDK version, OS, etc.) the canonical validate-ptolemy should be run under. It also might give us another push toward switching to Java
> 1.6 entirely. Thoughts?
>
> - Sean

ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670