[kepler-dev] 2.1.0 release testing

Derik Barseghian barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:22:40 PDT 2010

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for testing.

On Sep 15, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Christopher Brooks wrote:

> Hi Derik,
> Precisely how should I test the 2.1.0 release?
>
> I started up the devel head, below are some comments.
>
> * I updated my tree with:
>    cd kepler/build_area
>    rm -rf ~/.kepler ~/KeplerData
>    ant clean-all update run
>
> * The version number in the splash screen says 2.0.0, is this correct?
> * Help | About shows the version number as 2.0.0, is this correct?
>    We released 2.0, the version in the devel tree should be updated.
>
> * How would I know that I'm running 2.1.0?

Starting fresh:
rm -rf ~/KeplerData ~/.kepler;
mkdir kepler.modules.2.1;
svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/module/build-area
;
cd build-area;
ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-2.1;
ant clean-all run;

The splash images will show 2.1.0.
To change from the svn checkout of kepler 2.1 to the test published
version of 2.1.0, use the Module Manager in the GUI to download and
restart into kepler-2.1.0.
Note that 2.1 currently relies on a mix of 2.1 and 2.0 modules (and
the published 2.1.0 on a mix of 2.1.0 and 2.0.0). We've decided to not
republish as 2.1 those 2.0 modules that have not changed.

> * How do I save a model as an .xml file?  If you are going to remove
>  functionality, then you should probably change the version number
> to 3.0.
>  I don't want to edit some file in the configuration, I want to be
> able to
>  save models as MoML from the command line.

You can't through the gui, unless you set true that configuration.xml
parameter I added for you.
How were you saving models from the command line? I would hope
whatever method you were using would still work. I just removed the
File menu options for the old Save and Save As, it seems wrong if code
running in headless was invoking those gui menu items.

> * Where is "Save"?  If I modify a model and I want to save my
> changes, I don't
>  want a dialog, I just want to update my model.

Yes, this is a major limitation of the current system, we don't have a
KAR manager that provides mappings between windows and kars, so
there's currently no Save function, only Save As...
2.0 has this same limitation with regards KARs, it was just less in
your face since the old Save and Save As options for xml were the
defaults, so in discussing with others we thought we could release 2.1
with this limitation.

>    1. Start Kepler
>    2. Drag in any actor
>    3. Select Save As (this is good, the model has not been saved yet)
>    4. Get prompted for a model name, hit ok (this is ok, though why
> the model
>       name could be different from the file name is probably an issue)

A KAR is just a container for (a) models, so while it can be
confusing, it should be ok for the user to make the choice of having
the KAR named differently.
Even more confusing imo is that MoML stores the name of the model in
the model, so if the filename.xml is ever changed, the model name
shown in the gui window differs. I discussed this in more detail in a
bug somewhere, but I can't find it atm.

>    5. Get prompted for semantics types.  (FIXME: the help button
> does nothing)
>       Hit cancel because who knows what this button does

Yes this button does nothing for me as well. Shawn or Sean, was this
ever implemented? It would be better to not have the button if not.

>    6. Get prompted for a file name.  (FIXME: I want to save as
> a .xml, not
>       a .kar).  Is it a problem if the model name and the file name
> do not match?
>       Hit OK.
>
>    7.  Add another actor.
>    8. Go to File. Where is Save?  I just want to update my model.
>    9. Ok, try Save As.
>    10.  Why am I prompted for the name of the workflow again?  I
> just gave
>         this information?  Hit OK.

Again, this is because we lack a KAR manager, so we don't know that
this thing you're saving was previously saved to a KAR.

>    11. Why am I prompted for Semantic Info again?  I just gave this
> info.

I agree this is annoying, this is because your model still lacks a
semantic type. The system should probably offer an explicit "no", and
keep track of that so you're not prompted again.
Personally I don't think we should prompt for Semantic Annotation
during saves, as it probably confuses/slows down a new user, and it
slows down an advanced user.
You can do this from the canvas context menu.

>    12. Why am I prompted for the filename again?  I just gave this
> info.

We don't know which KAR this is.

>   Regardless of being able to save just a MoML file, we need Save
> back.

There was never a Save for KARs. The current Save As used to be called
Save Archive, but it did the same thing (i.e. it did a Save As for a
KAR).

> * I can't run the demos.  If I do Help | Kepler Documentation and
> click on the
>  Hello World link, I get:
>  java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/cxh/src/kepler/outreach/
> resources/demos/getting-started/04-HelloWorld.xml (No such file or
> directory)
>  I think the problem is that the demos are in outreach/workflows,
> not outreach/resources

You mean the Local links for the different docs? Yeah they don't work
for me either. I'm not familiar with how those links are created, but
I can look into it. They are the same but work in 2.0.0.

> * What version of Ptolemy are you planning on releasing.  The svn
> head of Ptolemy has not
>  been cleaned and it not ready for primetime.  I could see about
> cleaning it, but I'd
>  need to know when you want a clean version that I can tag.

I'm planning on using the same version of ptolemy for kepler-2.1.0
that kepler-2.0.0 used, ptolemy-8.0.0, which I believe is r58234.

> * Is 2.1.0 based on the 2.0 release branch or on the current kepler
> devel head?  If it
>  is on the kepler devel head, have the source files been cleaned?

The 2.1 branches are based on the 2.0 branches (there really isn't a
single branch for each, it's on a per module basis).
We decided 2.1 would be a special case, and that in the future we'll
be cutting releases (2.2, 2.3...) from trunk.

> [...]
>      [run] 	at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:
> 1882)
>      [run] 	at javax.swing.AbstractButton
> $Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2202)
>      [run] 	at
> javax
> .swing
> .DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
>      [run] 	at
> javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
>      [run] 	at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:334)
>      [run] 	at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:
> 1050)
>      [run] 	at
> apple.laf.CUIAquaMenuItem.doClick(CUIAquaMenuItem.java:119)
>      [run] 	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI
> $Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1091)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:
> 5602)
>      [run] 	at
> javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3129)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5367)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2010)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:
> 4068)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:
> 2068)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3903)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:
> 2054)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1801)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3903)
>      [run] 	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
>      [run] 	at
> java
> .awt
> .EventDispatchThread
> .pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
>      [run] 	at
> java
> .awt
> .EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:
> 190)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
>      [run] 	at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

I'm not seeing this on 2.1 or trunk. Can you try again from the 2.1
branch?

> _Christopher

Derik

> On 9/14/10 5:40 PM, Jing Tao wrote:
>> Hi, everyone:
>>
>> Derik figured out the reason why command line didn't work: we
>> should setup uploadToServer to true in reporting configuration.xm.
>>
>> After set that value to true, the uploading worked.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jing
>>
>> Jing Tao
>> National Center for Ecological
>> Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
>> 735 State St. Suite 204
>> Santa Barbara, CA 93101
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Jing Tao wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Derik:
>>>
>>> I tested some items:
>>>
>>> 1. Using the Module Manager to change suite from kepler 2.1.0 to
>>> reporting
>>> 2.1.0. It worked.
>>> 2. Running, saving and uploading some workflows in demo directory.
>>> They
>>> worked.