[kepler-dev] @author tags in duplicated code.

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 20 18:10:13 PDT 2010

On 10/20/10 2:50 PM, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
> What is the recommended way to experiment with those GUI changes?
> Making the changes in the "production code" doesn't seem to be an option.
> So is branching or code-duplication the way to go?

Ideally, this should be done by subclassing.
Unfortunately, with OO design, often one discovers that the base classes
don't have the extension points you need. It's better to add extension
points that facilitate your variant than to duplicate code...

> I think there needs to be an easy way to make code changes, extensions,
> etc in an "experimentation area" of the repository. Sometimes it will
> make sense to fold those changes back into the general code.
> In this particular case, I'm not sure. For example replacing one COMAD
> actor with another one is easy since the single input, single output
> structure of actors, together with scope parameters makes this
> replacement meaningful / conceptually easy. This might not be the case
> for general models / workflows.

The problem is that it's very rare for people to go back and turn
"experimental" code into "production" code. If you build experimental
code, you will always have experimental code...

Edward