[kepler-dev] Issues in loading a new actor module

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Wed May 12 08:27:55 PDT 2010

Hi Balachandar,

It sounds as though you need to use a separate class loader for your
module, at least for now. If it was not so close to the time for the
release, I would look into discussing with the appropriate maintainers
of those modules the possibility of upgrading the jars to the versions
you need.

First, lets look at what you did and understand why it didn't work.
When your module is in the HIGHER PRIORITY position (above the other
modules in modules.txt) your jars are used for EVERYTHING at run time.
If the jars are compatible, this doesn't matter. But in this case, the
jars are not compatible, and you are breaking existing functionality.
When you put your module in the LOWER PRIORITY position (below the
other modules in modules.txt), then the jars provided by the system
are used for EVERYTHING at run time. Which means you do not get the
additional functionality you expect from the new jars you have added.

So, here is the solution. You need to use a separate class loader, and
explained in the build system instructions. In this email to me, you
say that you put the actor name in classloaders.txt. But you need to
put the MODULE name, not the actor name in that file. You also have to
put the module "multiple-class-loaders" in the highest priority
position in the suite you are developing. This is described in the
build system instruction here:

https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/build-system-instructions
#using-a-separate-class

So, can you try this? If it doesn't work, let me know and we will look
more deeply into this.

-David