[kepler-dev] New Virtual Ptolemy Module

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:43:09 PST 2010

Hello All,

We have solved the problem of referring to specific revisions of
ptolemy by making a new virtual ptolemy module. In short, the ptolemy
module is now constructed by combining files from two repositories
into one module. This allows us to store revisions.txt in our own
repository (as before when we had the ptII module), which in turn will
allow you (from the current revision going forward) to go back to
previous revisions with the update command and get the correct
corresponding source from the ptolemy repository. In the process of
creating this new virtual repository, we have also eliminated ptolemy-
lib.

Also, as of right now, the ptolemy module is not a suite. This means
that you may no longer run Ptolemy from the Kepler build. Please let
us know if you would like the ability to run Ptolemy from the Kepler
build and we will consider the feasibility of doing so depending on
whether anyone desires this feature.

This is a significant change. The old ptolemy module is not compatible
with the new build. Which means that before working from the trunk,
you should (1) check in anything you are working on and (2) delete
everything locally and start with a fresh build and freshly downloaded
modules. This will ensure a clean transition to the new system. I
recommend that unless you are working from 1.0, that you update your
work and use the trunk as soon as you can, as this will ensure as
smooth of a transition for your work as possible.

Please let me know if you run into any issues!

Thanks!

-David