[kepler-dev] Code Freeze and Release Branch Information

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:34:03 PST 2010

Thanks for asking about the schedule.  I meant to send an email with the
revised dates out.  Since the code freeze was pushed a week, I pushed
all the other dates 1 week as well.  Here's the new (tentative) schedule:

2/8: Code Freeze
2/8-2/12 Bug fix week
2/15-2/19 Testing/documentation week
2/19 Beta 1 (branch)
2/22-2/26 final documentation
3/1: RC1
3/1-3/5: test RC1
3/8: 2.0 release

chad

Christopher Brooks wrote:
> Hey Chad,
> Ok, I'm convinced that the directories need the version numbers.
> If you could change the ptolemy-2.0 to ptolemy-8.0, then that
> would cover us.  We could have it be ptolemy-8.0.beta and then
> ptolemy-8.0.1, but this seems like busy work.
>
> Currently, you are asking for bug fixes only on the modules.
> Do you have target date for actually splitting the tree?
>
> _Christopher
>
> On 2/9/10 9:50 AM, Chad Berkley wrote:
>> Hey Christopher,
>>
>> See my responses below:
>>
>> Christopher Brooks wrote:
>>> Hi Chad,
>>> Awesome!
>>> Congrats on branching!
>>>
>>> A few small issues:
>>> * All the packages have 2.0 in the version name.
>>> This is not necessarily wrong, but looks a little unusual. I'm
>>> more used to the idea that Kepler-2.0 would contain modules that
>>> do not have version numbers. I can see the advantage to this
>>> so that we could have modules with different version numbers.
>>>
>>> What we have now is:
>>>
>>> actors-2.0 job-2.0
>>> apple-extensions-2.0 kepler-2.0
>>> authentication-2.0 kepler-tasks-2.0
>>> authentication-gui-2.0 loader-2.0
>>> build-area module-manager-2.0
>>> common-2.0 module-manager-gui-2.0
>>> component-library-2.0 opendap-2.0
>>> configuration-manager-2.0 outreach-2.0
>>> core-2.0 ptolemy-2.0
>>> data-handling-2.0 r-2.0
>>> directors-2.0 repository-2.0
>>> ecogrid-2.0 sms-2.0
>>> event-state-2.0 ssh-2.0
>>> gui-2.0 util-2.0
>>>
>>> I just think the above looks a little cluttered.
>>
>> It does look a bit cluttered, but I think it's necessary to allow
>> individual module upgrades in the future. For instance, the next release
>> of kepler might only have changes to core and common. Those modules
>> would get revved but the others wouldn't. The build system relies on the
>> name of the module to keep track of versioning for each module.
>>

>>> * ptolemy II 2.0 was released years ago, so please rename the
>>> ptolemy module to either ptolemy or ptolemy-8.0.beta or ptolemy-8.0.
>>> There will be confusion if the current "ptolemy-2.0" is used.
>>> I saw this happen with Tcl/Tk, where Tcl and Tk had different
>>> version numbers and there was much confusion. People would not
>>> realize what version of Tcl or Tk they were using and a bunch of
>>> the support effort was spent figuring out what was being run.
>>
>> Yeah, I was going to ask you about that. I'll rev it to whatever the
>> version of ptII we end using is. That having been said, the version
>> number in the directory is the version of the kepler module that
>> contains ptolemy, not of ptolemy itself (obviously), but I agree with
>> you that it is confusing.
>>

>>> BTW - The final 8.0 release will likely be ptII8.0.1. The next patch
>>> will be ptII8.0.2 etc.
>>>
>>> The above two issues bring up the point that we need to make a decision.
>>> Do all the modules in the kepler-2.0 suite have to have -2.0 in
>>> their names? I say no, since kepler-2.0 uses versioned software with
>>
>> no, they don't.
>>
>>> other version numbers. Most of the modules _could_ have -2.0 in their
>>> names.
>>> As versions change, would we be updating? For example, if
>>> Kepler-2.0.beta
>>> shipped with PtII8.0.beta, would the file be ptolemy-8.0.beta.
>>> Then, when Kepler-2.0.0 shipped with ptII8.0.1, would we change
>>> this to ptolemy-8.0.1?
>>
>> I'll just make sure the name of the ptolemy module matches whatever the
>> shipped version of ptII is.
>>

>>> It might be instructive to look at how Eclipse uses versioning for their
>>> jar files. For example Eclipse has:
>>> org.openarchitectureware.xtext.core_4.3.1.20090107-2000PRD.jar
>>> 4.3.1 is the version number of openArchitectureWare.