[kepler-dev] Code Freeze and Release Branch Information

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 9 09:50:19 PST 2010

Hey Christopher,

See my responses below:

Christopher Brooks wrote:
> Hi Chad,
> Awesome!
> Congrats on branching!
>
> A few small issues:
> * All the packages have 2.0 in the version name.
> This is not necessarily wrong, but looks a little unusual.  I'm
> more used to the idea that Kepler-2.0 would contain modules that
> do not have version numbers.  I can see the advantage to this
> so that we could have modules with different version numbers.
>
> What we have now is:
>
> actors-2.0                      job-2.0
> apple-extensions-2.0            kepler-2.0
> authentication-2.0              kepler-tasks-2.0
> authentication-gui-2.0          loader-2.0
> build-area                      module-manager-2.0
> common-2.0                      module-manager-gui-2.0
> component-library-2.0           opendap-2.0
> configuration-manager-2.0       outreach-2.0
> core-2.0                        ptolemy-2.0
> data-handling-2.0               r-2.0
> directors-2.0                   repository-2.0
> ecogrid-2.0                     sms-2.0
> event-state-2.0                 ssh-2.0
> gui-2.0                         util-2.0
>
> I just think the above looks a little cluttered.

It does look a bit cluttered, but I think it's necessary to allow
individual module upgrades in the future.  For instance, the next
release of kepler might only have changes to core and common.  Those
modules would get revved but the others wouldn't.  The build system
relies on the name of the module to keep track of versioning for each
module.

> * ptolemy II 2.0 was released years ago, so please rename the
> ptolemy module to either ptolemy or ptolemy-8.0.beta or ptolemy-8.0.
> There will be confusion if the current "ptolemy-2.0" is used.
> I saw this happen with Tcl/Tk, where Tcl and Tk had different
> version numbers and there was much confusion.  People would not
> realize what version of Tcl or Tk they were using and a bunch of
> the support effort was spent figuring out what was being run.

Yeah, I was going to ask you about that.  I'll rev it to whatever the
version of ptII we end using is.  That having been said, the version
number in the directory is the version of the kepler module that
contains ptolemy, not of ptolemy itself (obviously), but I agree with
you that it is confusing.

> BTW - The final 8.0 release will likely be ptII8.0.1.  The next patch
> will be ptII8.0.2 etc.
>
> The above two issues bring up the point that we need to make a decision.
> Do all the modules in the kepler-2.0 suite have to have -2.0 in
> their names?  I say no, since kepler-2.0 uses versioned software with

no, they don't.

> other version numbers.  Most of the modules _could_ have -2.0 in their
> names.
> As versions change, would we be updating?  For example, if Kepler-2.0.beta
> shipped with PtII8.0.beta, would the file be ptolemy-8.0.beta.
> Then, when Kepler-2.0.0 shipped with ptII8.0.1, would we change
> this to ptolemy-8.0.1?

I'll just make sure the name of the ptolemy module matches whatever the
shipped version of ptII is.

> It might be instructive to look at how Eclipse uses versioning for their
> jar files.  For example Eclipse has:
> org.openarchitectureware.xtext.core_4.3.1.20090107-2000PRD.jar
> 4.3.1 is the version number of openArchitectureWare.
> 20090107 is the date the jar was built (sort of a build number).
>
> I'm not advocating dates in the module names, but I am advocating
> following the version numbering of the packages that are used by Kepler.
>
> * I have a slight preference for renaming ptolemy to ptII.  The reason
> is that the Ptolemy Project produces software and one such package is
> Ptolemy II, which we call ptII.   Really, there is no software called
> Ptolemy.  There was software called Ptolemy that we retroactively renamed
> to Ptolemy Classic.  There is software called Ptolemy II.
> However, I can live with ptolemy-8.0.1 in Kepler.

I'm not really up for changing that at this point.  Since anyone that's
downloading this via kepler is getting it to use kepler (we no longer
allow one to run standard vergil from kepler), I don't think it's that
big of a deal.

> * It looks like you are checking out Ptolemy from the trunk:
>
> [change-to] svn co -r head
> svn://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/ptII/trunk /Users\
> /cxh/src/kepler-2.0/ptolemy-2.0/src
>
> Instead, please use the Ptolemy II beta branch:
> svn co svn://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/ptII/branches/rel-8-0-beta ...

Yep, I was going to ask you about that too.  I'll change it.

Since we're now just going to work from the head and not the branch,
I'll make these changes when we actually do branch.  Probably when a
beta or RC is ready.

thanks for your input.

chad