[kepler-dev] svn repository woes on source.eecs.berkeley.edu

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 25 15:08:42 PDT 2010

It looks like we are having on going problems with rogue svn processes.
I did an update of svn (it took hours) and the problem persists.
I have a script that kills the processes, but there are times when
the repository might not be available.

I just changed the killsvn script so that it runs every five minutes
instead of every six minutes.

What I think is happening here is that someone at UC Davis is using
a client, probably TortoiseSVN that is making connections to source.eecs
and then not properly terminating them.  I've seen open connections to
dhcp23-gc1.genomecenter.ucdavis.edu.  Tracking down this one user make
little sense as there will only be another user with the same client.

A better solution will require some time and possibly further upgrades.

_Christopher

> It turns out that Tortoise SVN was creating lots of svnserve processes
> on source.eecs.berkeley.edu.  This started a few weeks ago.
> Details may be found at
> http://svn.haxx.se/tsvnusers/archive-2007-09/0056.shtml
>
> My solution was to write a script that killed those processes.
> However, this script was not super-reliable as it was still possible
> to run out of swap between times the script ran.
>
> I just upgraded subversion and http on source.eecs in hopes that
> this will solve the problem.
>
> I checked and I was able to download ptII via svn https, svn+ssh and svn.
>
> However, as always, there could be problems, so please let me know
> if you have new problems accessing the ptII svn repository.

ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670