[kepler-dev] Building small size kepler distribution?

Thien Nguyen thien.th.nguyen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 03:40:49 PDT 2009

Hi, I've been making some custom actors in a new suite (created locally) for
some workflows in synthetic biology. I'm trying to to find a good way to
share these workflows with custom actors easily, because the users will be
lab biologists who are not familiar with kepler/command lines. I tried ant
package to get a complete jar distribution, but it's very big 600MB+, so
it's hard to share. My module is very small 1MB, and I assume most users
will only run those workflows, or if they want to modify only use a small
part of the actor library. I need help with these:
. How to reduce the size of the executable distribution. I tried to modify
the modules.txt in kepler module and the ptolemy-exclude, but not much.
. In fact, it's more about how to distribute a module easily, without
checking out kepler with the build system. Can I save a workflow/module as a
KAR and get it to open and run at a different machine with regular Kepler
1.0? I tried to export the workflow from the menu but it show dependency
errors, from the maillist it seems I cannot use Kar export to save a
workflow with custom module?

Thanks

Thien Nguyen