[kepler-dev] Config system serialization

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:19:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

After our phone call last week, I updated the configuration system page
here
https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/framework/kepler-configuration/proposed-future-kepler-configuration-system
with the notes from the meeting.  I also added a section towards the
bottom that details the different options I have looked at for the
back-end system that will deal with serialization of the configuration
files.

Please take a look at the list and add any systems that you might know
of that you think we should take a look at.  Also feel free to add
comments onto the systems that I've already added if I've missed any
features or drawbacks that you think are important.

Note that I've included the java properties system in this list, even
though I do not believe it is a viable system for most of the kepler
configuration items.  I've included it because it is the java standard
and it does internationalization really well.  In that respect, it could
be used for our UI resources configuration system and we could use
something else for other config items.  I'm not saying this is a good
idea, but I thought I'd include it nonetheless.

After people have had a chance to look this over, I'll schedule a call
so we can talk about the options.

Thanks,
chad