[kepler-dev] packaging tasks

Aaron Schultz aschultz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri May 15 12:15:21 PDT 2009

Hi Chad,

Yes we should probably have a conference call.

As it is coming together now the KAR file format is dependent on what
modules are extending the KAREntryHandler extension point so we cannot
guarantee that the KAR file format will always match the module format.
Also, because KAR files will not include class definitions or JAR files
in the 2.0 release but only metadata and possibly module dependency
information I am not sure that it is of any value to have the two file
formats be the same.  In my mind they are very different systems where
modules may contain KARs but KARs lack the functionality of modules for
therefore are not equivalent.

Perhaps a better understanding of what the functionality of the KAR file
system will include in release 2.0 would clarify this for everyone and
change our deliverables.

Thanks,
Aaron