[kepler-dev] renaming Loader and test installers

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue May 12 15:03:23 PDT 2009

Hi Chad,

In at least older versions of java for Mac OS X you could use:

System.setProperty("apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar", "true");
System.setProperty("com.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name", "Kepler");

to change how the menus work.  Maybe they changed it again, but this
used to work.

There's more info on making things more compatible with MacOS guidelines here:
http://www.devdaily.com/blog/post/jfc-swing/making-java-swing-app-look-like-mac-app/
And for Java 1.3.x (including info about the 'About Kepler...' menu:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaLP/JavaToMac/

Matt

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Chad Berkley <berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we've talked about this before, but I think we need to re-name
> org.kepler.core.loader.Loader to something like
> org.kepler.core.loader.Kepler.  The problem I'm currently seeing is that
> when we execute Kepler on the mac, the class name shows up in the menu bar
> as the application that is being run.  I haven't found anyway around that,
> so I think it would look better to have org.kepler.core.loader.Kepler (or
> even, maybe take it out of the package, if that's possible, so that it's
> just 'Kepler' or maybe 'org.kepler.Kepler').
>
> What do you think?
>
> Also, I've uploaded an installer for Windows and an installer for OSX to
> http://dist.kepler-project.org/dist/Kepler-1.0Dev  Please give them a try
> and let me know if you find any problems.  They both include R in the
> installation.  If you already have R, just uncheck the R installation.  Note
> that I have not figured a non-hackish way to alter the path to put R on the
> path (Ben, is there a way we can do this so R doesn't have to be on the
> path?), so if you do install R and want the R workflows to work,  you'll
> need to add R/bin to your path manually.  I'm hoping to figure that one out
> soon.  If you come across what you think is a bug, please try the same
> operation running Kepler from your local SVN directory first.  If the bug
> happens in the installed version and the SVN version, it is not an installer
> bug.  If you do find something that does work in SVN but not in the
> installed version, please create a new bug for it and make the bug block on
> bug 3949 so I can track them easier.
>
> Thanks!
>
> chad

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo