[kepler-dev] mailman changes: reply_goes_to_list/htdig

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:10:14 PDT 2009

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Peter Reutemann <fracpete at waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> From my experience and in my opinion, having the reply-to pointing
> back to the list instead of the poster outweighs the occasional
> surprise in posting something to a wider audience. Here's why:
> While I was maintaining the WEKA software and moderating the mailing
> list (and mainly answering posts there) it got to a point where I was
> posting way too many private replies back to the list, since people
> just couldn't click on "reply all" (or didn't care who'd receive the
> email, poster or list), that I reconfigured mailman. Since then, as
> far as I can tell, there have been only a handful of mis-posts to the
> list instead of sending it privately. Considering that the switchover
> was several years back and that the mailing lists has several hundred
> posts/month, I think it was worth it (no private one-on-one help
> sessions, but accessible to everyone). But then, the audience on the
> kepler mailing lists could be different and I haven't been subscribed
> to them for that long.

OK, you convinced me :)  I've written to the leadership team to check
on this change and make sure there are no objections. If not, then
I'll proceed as you describe.

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo