[kepler-dev] [Fwd: [kepler-code] r17007 - trunk/modules]

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:46:36 PDT 2009

Hi Christopher,

First, we still have to have a discussion to resolve what meaning we are
going to attach version numbers... Everything I am doing here is
tentative and hasn't been discussed outside of UC Davis. So, you
definitely can expect, more likely than not, some more changes as
management formally attaches meaning to version numbers.

kepler-1.0.1 is a suite that refers to a published snapshot of
kepler-trunk as of Friday (March 13). Originally, I had named it
kepler-1.1, but we have very tentatively decided that for such
snapshots, we should increment the third number, rather than the second.
So, I went ahead and renamed kepler-1.1 to kepler-1.0.1.

As far as the upcoming release, I am not sure if we are going to call it
Kepler 2.0 or whether we will call it Kepler 1.1. That is still under
discussion.

The meaning of kepler-1.0.1 for us, as of now, does not necessarily
imply backwards compatibility. It instead refers to a snapshot developer
release. It is based on kepler-trunk not kepler-1.0.

Anyway, I we will definitely announce more details about this soon, as
soon as the details are worked out. We are going to go ahead and upgrade
the work we have been doing here at UC Davis from kepler-1.0 to
kepler-1.0.1.

David