[kepler-dev] Custom actors + kar file + xml description

Michal Owsiak michalo at man.poznan.pl
Wed Mar 11 03:44:08 PDT 2009

Hello everybody,

I have following situation.

I have created multiple actors for Kepler. Now, I'd like to pack them
for a distribution in a convenient way. At the moment I have to put JAR
file (containing all the actors) into "kepler/lib/jar" directory and
instantiate them one after another. I'd rather to distribute them as KAR
file(s).

I know that it is possible to instantiate one actor after another and
save them as KAR files. But what I prefer is to create multiple actor
KAR file.

I have few question regarding this issue

1. Is it legal to create KAR file and put multiple XML files inside it
as well as multiple "Name: xmlfile" sections inside MANIFEST.MF?
2. There are two "LSID" values in each kar file (one for KAR file and
one inside "Name: ..." section) how they are related to each other?
3. How should I create LSID values? Is there any documentation regarding
this topic?
4. Is it possible to create KAR file automatically basing on the source
code of actors?

Let's say I have source directory "src/pl/kepler/actors/*.java". Is it
possible to generate KAR file automatically using Kepler build system?
Do I have to create new module in order to achieve this?

5. Is it possible to create XML description of actor basing on source
code of actor?
6. How can I export composite actor as a KAR file - at the moment I can
save composite actor as a KAR, but after loading it back into Kepler all
the ports disappear.

Thanks in advance for the answers

Cheers

Michal

--
Michal Owsiak <michalo at man.poznan.pl>
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center