[kepler-dev] ptolemy.moml.Location

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 20 08:48:36 PDT 2009

David Welker wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> I noticed that some of the moml associated with creating a new composite
> actor has a reference to a class called ptolemy.moml.Location. It
> appears that this class no longer exists. Do you have any insights about
> what is going on here?

Hi David,
The class ptolemy/moml/Location.java was moved.

http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/ChangeLog.txt
says:

> 	* [r23825] /trunk/ptolemy/moml/Location.java,
> 	  /trunk/ptolemy/moml/makefile: Removed Location.java, see 7/28/02
> 	  ptresearch email

The 7/28/02 ptresearch email at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemy/listinfo/ptolemy/2002q3/004398.html
says:

Edward wrote:
> I've made some changes to the Location attribute.
>
> 1) Moved it to kernel.util.  It was previously in moml,
>     I'm not sure why, and it created spurious dependencies
>     on the moml package.  I've left an empty class in moml
>     also called Location, but perhaps this should be removed.
>     Christopher: This would require updating the filter
>     to remap ptolemy.moml.Location to ptolemy.kernel.util.Location.
>     Do you want to do this?
>
> 2) Created a Locatable interface implemented by Location.
>     I fixed vergil to reference the interface everywhere except
>     where it creates an instance of the Location attribute.
>
> I used these changes to fix the visual interface to the
> PortParameter.  If you drag one in from the utilities library
> now, the port and parameter are linked visually. If you drag
> the parameter, it drags the port along.  I welcome comments
> and suggestions on this UI...
>
> Edward

We have a filter in ptolemy.moml.filter.ClassChanges that looks
for ptolemy.moml.Location and changes it to ptolemy.kernel.util.Location.

I looked in the tree and the following files contain
"ptolemy.moml.Location"
./ptolemy/actor/lib/test/auto/Expression11.xml:
./ptolemy/actor/lib/test/auto/Expression12.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Air_Manifold.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Drive_Train-021.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Drive_Train-022.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Drive_Train-041.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Drive_Train-05.xml:
./ptolemy/apps/engine/Drive_Train-051.xml:
./ptolemy/domains/fsm/demo/MultipleRuns/diagrams.xml:
./ptolemy/domains/modal/demo/MultipleRuns/diagrams.xml:
./ptolemy/moml/filter/ClassChanges.java:
./ptolemy/moml/filter/test/BackwardCompatibility.tcl:
./ptolemy/moml/filter/test/MultiportToSinglePort.tcl:
./ptolemy/vergil/basic/BasicGraphFrame.java:

Most of these are demos which will be fixed by the filter.

I modified BasicGraphFrame so that it uses ptolemy.kernel.util.Location
instead of ptolemy.moml.Location.

BTW - how goes your exploration of the Ptolemy GUI?
If you are thinking of developing code, I'm hoping you will look
at preexisting frameworks such as the Eclipse or Netbeans Rich
Client Platforms.  The RCPs handle a bunch of the bookkeeping
such as opening and saving files etc.

Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480