[kepler-dev] Including PDF in Vergil

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 10 17:36:48 PDT 2009

I've added a PDFAttribute to the Utilities->Decorative library in Vergil
that allows you to include PDF in a Vergil diagram.

The reason I wanted this was mainly so I could include Latex-formatted
equations in Vergil diagrams, and get full print resolution when
printing to PDF for use in papers, books, etc.  For example, see
attached.

Using requires a new external library, PDFRenderer.jar, which I've
put in $PTII/lib.  This is a LGPL'd open source product from Sun.

To use it, I use LatexIt (see
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/math_science/latexit.html
for the Mac version... I think there are Windows and Linux versions).
 From LatexIt, I can create a PDF file with an equation.

Then I drag into my Vergil diagram a PDFAttribute, or select
Edit Custom Icon and drag in a PDFIcon. Double click on that to
select the PDF file.

To use this, you need to do a CVS update and
either re-run configure or do

   cd $PTII/bin
   make

This will put the jar file in the path for vergil.

Edward