[kepler-dev] Hypothetical Question: Are there any stakeholders who would object to requiring Java 1.6. Why?

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:14:59 PST 2009

Thanks for your input Dan.

Well, I tested the use of SoyLatte and it seems to works okay. The
splash screen does not come up properly and the GUI looks a little more
clunky because it uses X11 though. I would definitely consider having to
use SoyLatte as inconvenient at best. (Although that is certainly a step
up from impossible, I don't think it is very satisfactory.)

I think I want to expand this discussion a little bit. Does anyone need
to use Java 1.6 instead of Java 1.5 for any of their work, and why? I
think we have a pretty good idea of the costs of moving to Java 1.6.
What would be the benefits? Keep in mind that if all you want to do is
run Kepler with 1.6, that is perfectly possible now with a fairly
minimal number of manual steps. So, if what you want is the increased
speed of Java 1.6, I don't think that qualifies as a reason to require
use of 1.6. What I am really looking for is someone to say that they
need such-and-such feature from 1.6 that is not available in 1.5 so we
can get an idea of what benefits, if any, would be derived from
requiring 1.6.

By the way, part of me is tempted to go on a rant about right now about
how Apple should really should get their Mac support for Java together,
but I am definitely going to restrain myself. =)

David