[kepler-dev] attempting to mimic dropdown/combobox

Unknown Madhusudan madhu at sdsc.edu
Fri Jan 23 14:23:08 PST 2009

 Hi there,

    I am working at SDSC on CAMERA project.
  In our workflows, we need to use either a dropdown box or any other component
 that could mimic its functionality at design time.

  Just like the ColorParameter gives users a choice to pick up a color. It is static and
uses JColorChooser to display the choices. Is there anyway to mimic the dropdown functionality using same ColorParameter logic? ColorParameter (ptolemy.actor.gui.ColorAttribute) extends from Parameter and it has only one additional method asColor, which return java.awl.Color object. I am not sure from where to start asking question on the topic of dropdown box.

 1) How is the frame added to the parameter.
 2) How different frames are added to Parameter and ColorParameter.
 3) Color Parameter has additional Choose button, how is it added?
 4) Where is the code for the actionListener for this Choose button?

 ...................... many questions on similar lines.

  I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/pointers on this topic.

regards
Madhu