[kepler-dev] Kepler Code Formatting

Aaron Schultz aschultz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 13 14:21:46 PST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to organize imports and reformat the vanilla modules
(util,core,common,actors,directors,loader) Wednesday night using Eclipse
default formatting.  I've spoken with ~8 members of the dev team about
it so far, sorry if I didn't get to you.  I'll check everything out at
7pm tomorrow and then check in the changes sometime after that so try to
check all your code in before 7pm so you don't have to merge or over
write anything Thursday morning.

The biggest impact will be that indentation will now be tabs.  If you're
used to viewing the source with double spaces and want to keep it that
way you can configure your editor to show tabs with only two spaces.  If
your editor is configured to insert spaces every time you hit the tab
key you will want to reconfigure it for inserting actual tab characters
instead of spaces.

Some quick resources I found on configuration for various editors are below.
Please reply to this email with other sources if you come across good
references for configuring these or other editors.
If you have trouble configuring your editor or have any other
concerns/questions, please let me know.

emacs:
http://student.northpark.edu/pemente/emacs_tabs.htm

vi:
http://uw713doc.sco.com/en/FD_create/Configuring_vi.html

NetBeans:
http://editor.netbeans.org/doc/UserView/config_kit.html

In Eclipse you'll find the formatting can be configured in
Preferences->General->Editors->Text Editors
and
Preferences->Java->Editor