[kepler-dev] [kepler-users] kepler actor repository

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 27 18:23:00 PST 2009

Hi Chris,

The Kepler Repository uses web service interfaces for all
communications, with the intention of isolating the backend
implementation of the repository in order to allow additional
repository implementations.  So what you want to do is possible.
We've described the architecture and implementation informally in this
document:
https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/teams/framework/archive/kepler-repository/?searchterm=repository

It may be slightly out of date, but it is basically correct.  Our
implementation uses the Metacat metadata and data server
(http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/metacat) as its backend
implementation.  So, to set up your own, the basic steps would be:

1) Download and install metacat with the kepler skin
      -- be sure to enable the EarthGrid web service interface
     -- if you need assistance, its best to get one of us on IRC as
its faster than email
          (IRC connection info: https://dev.kepler-project.org/users/contact-us)
2) Register this repository with your Kepler client
      -- I think this will involve using a different EcoGrid Registry
-- hopefully someone else can clarify how this is configured (Ben?,
Aaron?)

The current version of Kepler only allows a single repository to be
configured for each client, but we are starting work on some new
workflow repository work that should open this up to allow each client
to discover, search, and utilize multiple repositories.  Aaron Schultz
is leading this part of our work on REAP, and can give some more
pointers to the current design documents for this work.

We'd welcome collaboration on this work.

Matt

P.S. Redirecting this email from kepler-users to kepler-dev as its a
fairly technical topic

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Chris Weed <chrisweed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in knowing more about hosting a local kepler actor repository.
> Is the software available to do this, and is there any documentation?
> Chris

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo