[kepler-dev] Proposed Future Kepler Configuration System

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:34:12 PST 2009

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your suggestion. A couple of thoughts on your ideas regarding
closely integrating with Eclipse or Netbeans.

1) The scope of your suggestion is much greater than the incremental
configuration project I had in mind. It goes quite a way beyond mere
configuration and perhaps has implications for distribution, integration
with other tools, how modules are defined and interact, how we build,
and how developers work. It is not clear to me to what extent one can
choose to just buy into these platforms incrementally, without more or
less converging onto the Netbeans or Eclipse way of doing things. This
would be a rather large, rather than small, effort. It would be a major
decision.

2) To really integrate with Netbeans or Eclipse would involve very
significant refactoring of the GUI. (There will, of course, be some
refactoring of how the GUI is configured with the project I am
contemplating, but probably on a smaller scale.) My question is Ptolemy
in doing that sort of work? I could imagine a scenario (after careful
evaluation of costs and benefits) where Ptolemy and Kepler work towards
a common standard based on either Eclipse or Netbeans. But I think the
costs for Kepler are much higher if we were to try to go it alone
(because so many changes are implied in Vergil by such a move).

3) I can definitely imagine benefits to closely integrating Kepler with
Eclipse or Netbeans. For example, allowing users to modify actor code by
right-clicking on it from inside of Kepler. It could also define a more
convenient distribution model, allowing us to more seamlessly provide
updates to users. I can also imagine costs associated with the
complexity of integrating Kepler into either of these ecosystems.

4) If the goal is to simplify configuration, then integration with
Eclipse or Netbeans likely contradicts that goal. Configuration would be
more complicated, because both Netbeans and Eclipse have fairly complex
configuration systems in place. I could roll out a custom configuration
system that is simpler and easier to use much faster than we could
integrate with either the Eclipse or Netbeans ecosystem. So, any
decision to integrate with these ecosystems should be based on concrete
benefits provided by integrating with the tool sets available in these
platforms, not any illusions that this would simplify configuration.

5) If we use either Netbeans or Eclipse as a platform, why we would not
be officially "blessing" one IDE over another, we would in fact be
favoring one over another. The best tools for making Netbeans plugins
and modules for Netbeans is Netbeans itself. The same is true of
Eclipse. We should realize that if we do decide to integrate with a
particular IDE, we are making one IDE much easier to use than others,
even while not officially preventing the use of other tools.

Overall, after an initial examination, I am somewhat skeptical that we
should be integrating with either Eclipse or Netbeans. I think it would
be a fairly large amount of work, would make configuration more complex
and not simpler, and would in a de facto way tie us to a particular IDE.
Right not, I am not entirely convinced that the concrete benefits I see
(mainly having to do with distribution of new modules and perhaps
integrating the code development capabilities of Eclipse or Netbeans
with Kepler/Ptolemy) are worth the work and added complexity. But, I am
definitely open and am willing to be convinced.

David