[kepler-dev] Proposed Future Kepler Configuration System

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:01:56 PST 2009

Hi Matt and Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that we should evaluate existing configuration systems at
consider their fit for our needs compared to a custom system. It could
be that any of these existing systems is not a good fit or would
actually take longer to utilize, so I think we should approach this
evaluation with a totally open mind. Certainly, if you had an already
implemented system that fit like a glove, that would be the way to go.
To the extent that system doesn't fit so well or commits us to a
particular technology that we are not certain we want to commit to or
requires excessively verbose configuration files (something we should
definitely move away from as much as possible) then we should consider
sewing a custom glove that fits better, so to speak.

With respect to your point about using certain conventions to refer to
language, I cannot say that I agree with you. I would prefer much
simpler strings like, "english" instead of "en_US" or "englishUK" to
"en_UK" or "german" to "de" or "japanese" to "jp." I think that spelling
out directories is totally unambiguious and much easier to read and much
easier to understand, especially for new developers. As Timothy
anticipated, my original proposal in this regard was sure to not go
unnoticed or unobjected to. May I suggest that we bring this issue to a
vote and move ahead rapidly from there, whatever the results.

Finally, and most importantly, I agree with you that it is important to
unify all the configuration information. For that reason, I definitely
would appreciate developer effort in briefly documenting the remaining
files that have not been documented thus far. I know that the
.properties files beginning with ui have not been documented. I think
that is fine, since I am well aware of those. What I am most interested
in are any other configuration files that have not been documented. If
anyone is aware of any additional files, listing them or, better yet,
documenting them at the following URL would be greatly appreciated:

https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/teams/framework/kepler-configuration/current-kepler-configuration/

Thanks!

David