[kepler-dev] Questions/Thoughts on the modular system

Ilkay Altintas altintas at sdsc.edu
Fri Aug 21 13:31:07 PDT 2009

The new modular system mostly works great and I like the new
organization of files.

I have a few questions/comments below on capabilities that I think are
key to the broad usability of it.

1. Module dependencies/conflicts: How do I know different modules
depend on each other or would conflict with each other? Do we expect
the users to download any module and add it into their build? We need
documentation with each module on what are the pre-conditions for
using that module: an example configuration for the module, list of
what other modules NOT to use it with, and what is required with this
module. We need to define standards for publishing a module.

2. Module manager: I understand there will be a visual module manager
for this. Will the manager take care of some of the issues?

3. Jar conflicts: If two modules need different versions of the same
jar, it will not cause compile errors. However, it could end up
causing jar conflicts at runtime. How do we deal with this problem?
What's going to happen when third parties start publishing modules?

Thank you and apologies if some of these were discussed before.

-ilkay

--
Ilkay ALTINTAS
Deputy Coordinator for Research, San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC)

University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, MC: 0505  La Jolla, CA  92093-0505
Phone: (858) 210-5877                     Fax: (858) 534-8303
Web: http://users.sdsc.edu/~altintas
Skype: ilkay.altintas