[kepler-dev] Res: [kepler-users] Information - Kepler + Ontology

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 7 09:43:19 PDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

See my responses below.

Daniel Cintra wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Actually, I'm doing a virtual laboratory which will use semantic datas
> based on ontologies. I need to do a "step-by-step" process, like a
> recipe. What I can't see is how Kepler can help me... I have an java
> aplication where I can access an ontology base through Jena plugin. Now
> I need to make a flow where the experiment's data will be put in order.
> These datas are based on ontology data. After finishing all steps which
> the experiment has, this flow needs to be available to users execute the
> experiment based in this "step-by-step". What happen is that this
> experiment is a simulation, and I won't access another programs to
> execute or process my datas. The user will only simulate an experiment
> like this:
> First - Put water an salt in a recipient
> Second - Take this new solution and put in a centrifugal
> ... and so on...

I'm not exactly understanding what you want to do, but I think what you
want here is put your data into kepler Tokens and pass them through a
workflow.  This can be accomplished through the kepler/ptolemy API.
You'll probably want to create a source actor that parses the
information you need out of the ontology.  If you are accessing this
information from an external application, you can use the
CommandLineExec actor to execute that application and produce output
from it, then use the FileReader actor to read in the contents of the
objects that that application creates.

> I think that kepler is able to create flows, but after create it, the
> user can't iterate anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Once you create the workflow, you can
iterator over it as many times as you want.  The SDF director allows you
to set specific numbers of iterations, or the PN director will iterate
as long as some actor is provided data inputs.

There are some example workflows in the outreach module.  You can see
those here:

https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/outreach/resources/demos/

Specifically, you might want to look at
https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/outreach/resources/demos/SEEK/eml-simple-plot.moml
and
https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/outreach/resources/demos/getting-started/07-CommandLine_1.xml

The first shows how an external data source works.  The second shows how
to execute an external application from the command line.

Hope this helps,
chad