[kepler-dev] GIS workflow and display

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 13:42:16 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

One thing to keep in mind is that if you develop your own module, you do
not necessarily need to convince others to upgrade to a new jar right
away. What you can do is just use the jump-1.2.jar in your new module,
and it will be used not only for any additional work you do, but by
Kepler itself. (But, people doing unrelated work that do not use your
new module will still use the jump-1.1.jar.) This should be fine as long
as version 1.2 is backwards compatible. Additionally, keep in mind that
even if version 1.2 is not completely backwards compatible, you can
override the Kepler classes that are not backwards compatible in your
module without actually touching those classes in the core module.
Ultimately, if your changes make sense, they can be merged into the core
of Kepler. But, from your perspective, you do not need to wait or engage
in any sort of complicated negotiation process to add a module that will
use Kepler with your preferred version of this jar. That is one of the
major advantages of the build system that Kepler now uses.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process.

David