[kepler-dev] Adding actors to the workflow programmatically

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 29 18:07:52 PST 2008

Hi R.P,
Sorry for the delay, I'm just going through old email.

ptolemy/kernel/CompositeEntity.java contains connect() methods that
can be used to connect ports.

For a simple example of a model defined in Java, see

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/ptolemy/domains/sdf/demo/Butterfly/Butterfly.java

The kernel chapter of Volume 2 of the Ptolemy II design doc discusses
how to connect actors
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2007/EECS-2007-8.pdf

Using change requests is somewhat better than calling connect()

The bottom of ptII/ptolemy/moml/demo/modulation.xml defines a relation
and then calls link:

    <relation name="r3" class="ptolemy.actor.TypedIORelation">
    </relation>
    <link port="mult.output" relation="r3"/>
    <link port="display.input" relation="r3"/>

You could do something similar in a ChangeRequest.

_Christopher

--------

    Thanks for the help guys, think I get the gist of it now.

    One further question relating to this - in a similar way, what is the
    functionality that actually connects two actors together? Does this
    work through the LinkModel class, I'm guessing it's a similar
    situation to dropping the actor into a model in that a change request
    is used?

    Thanks again,

    Russell